In the audio file attached (mp3, part of the Lahore Suhba of 2007), Shaykh Nuh Keller is asked by new mureeds of the Shadhili Tariqah to demonstrate how the Shadhilis do dhikr of the Supreme name:الله Allah.
If you cannot listen to the lecture for whatever reason then here is the upshot:
- The shaadhili tariqah is in reality a qaadiri branch. The qaadiris believe in dhikr that is jahri (aloud). This too is implemented by the Shaadhiliyyah.
- The dhikr consists of 66 times, the best time to do it is before going to sleep at night, though can be done at other times if one is unable to do it before sleeping.
- If one does not miss a single day of doing this for fourty days then one increases the dhikr to 100 times.
- After the Khalwah, it is any number of times that one wants, but prior to the khalwah the dhikr is done only 100 times at most.
- One should do it aloud: الّ All (holding the lam properly with shaddah) and elongating the اااااااااااaaaaaaaaaaaaa then ending with the final ه ha – sounding it out.
- One focuses on Allah ta’alaa, or the highest states of the heart: love, uns, hayba, awe and dread, closeness with Allah ta’alaa. One concentrates with the heart, and the brain is just the servant.
[This is all demonstrated on the audio file by Shaykh Nuh himself for those interested.]